Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 23, 2018

[Mrs. Y Reviews - Archive] Innocent As Sin by C.A Asbrey

Book Cover via Amazon.com
(3/16/2019 Note: This is a review I wrote before perfecting my scoring system . Alas, the blog lost it in the Google+ update. I am republishing it here in its original form.) 

When one book isn’t good enough, the time comes for a sequel. Well, C.A Asbrey knows how to write folks. Once again this wonderful author knows how to write a hook, and can even a callback to the hook from the first book. Come and join me for a review of ‘Innocent as Sin.’

"Innocent as Sin" is a historical fiction that is a follow up to “The Innocents” which is in and of itself an excellent book. If you missed my last review, I gave that book a 94/100, because it was terrific. The novel picks up where the other left off and takes us back to the fantastic story of ‘The Innocents’ and mostly Miss Abi MacKay. 

Opinion
Did you like the book?

Yes, I loved this book. This time we get not one mystery, not two mysteries but three amazing tales in one wrapped up the novel. Additionally, that incredible ‘Sam and Dianne’ tension is in this book just like the last one, along with some heartache and pain. 

What was your favorite part of the book? The tension again, she did so well with it. I mean honestly, there is not much more to say when you are reading a master of tension. There’s romantic tension, page-turning tension, dynamic tension and even suspense in parts. C. A Asbrey knows how to make a point come perfectly through in what she writes. 

Do you have a least favorite part of the book? Honestly, that I don’t have a third one ready to read right now, that’s my least favorite part of this book. I loved the first and now this book. I want to keep reading about Abi and her adventures. I want to continue learning about the bits of history mixed with the story, and I want to know more about how sewing machines were just barely in everyday use in the 1850s. Oh yeah, there are some seriously exciting details in this book.  Did you know they had chemically created ice in the late 1800’s? I had to Google it, and yeah, it’s a thing. I wouldn’t have known even to look it up if it hadn’t been for the story. Bravo ma’am, bravo. I love this book! 

Recommendations
Would you recommend this to another person? Yes, anyone who loves mystery, historical fiction, romance with beautiful tension in it, and crime stories would enjoy this book. 

What do I give this? Well, like the last I gave a 94/100, and I’m giving this 96/100. The reason is that there is a lot more going on in this story than the previous, and there are callbacks to the first book that makes it part of an overall story. I love a sequel that calls back to the first in a way that it’s not a repeat. It makes the person realize they should read the first one if they haven’t yet because they’d miss out on something. I don’t like sequels that have no callback to the first because why make it a sequel if it’s not part of the overall story? 

Well C.A Asbrey writes for someone like me, someone who loves a long-term tale and yet can make the book independent at the same time. "Innocent as Sin" is a fantastic story. It deserves the 96 for the added pieces to it.

I am looking forward to a third if it ever is written. I hope that someday this series gets a drama on Amazon or Netflix or Hulu or something. This would make one hell of a good television show.