Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 20, 2018

[Mrs. Y Blogs] How I lost my keyboard and mouse, but gained appreciation for mobile reviewing.

My New Keyboard from desk level
My son is my life, and I love him, but I promise to all of you who have no like of "Oh my kid did/said this" I won't talk about him much. 

I only bring him up in this case because he set me on a journey of slow madness, that turned out to be very eye-opening when it comes to reviewing. 



One lovely afternoon when I was dealing with something, my son came into my office space, took a glass of liquid and a dryer sheet, and gave my keyboard a bath. He was so happy to help me, he also washed my mouse, but I happened to stop him before he got very far in the process. Once I saw what he did, I unplugged the USB's, shut everything down, and proceeded to spend two days with my keyboard and mouse in rice. At the time I was reading a huge and thought-provoking kind of book, so it wasn't a big deal for me to ghost life on the computer and only Tweet on my phone. (Also to be fair, I knew nothing of #StorySocial or #AuthorConfessionChat on Twitter, and didn't realize I was missing out on life.}

Anyway I digress, life progressed, and I thought I got the two items dry enough to use. Over the next month, they cut out on me, sometimes while I was typing a review, other times while I was trying to perform an action. It became rather unbearable. For someone like me, the inability to move quickly becomes intolerable. As an ISTJ, I tend to move swiftly and get things done. It's just part of who I am.

My mother-in-law took pity on me, and sent me money to buy a new set up from Amazon, she said it was for a birthday gift, but I think really she just wanted to help me. I'm very happy. Granted it took two days for the keyboard and mouse to arrive, and that really is the crux of the matter. What do you do when your life revolves around reading and writing, but you cannot do one of those actions without a great deal of difficulty.

At first, I tried to use my smartphone. I wrote that lovely review about "Lost Kings" and thought "Surely this is going to work out," and I was wrong again.

I read two of William F. Aicher's books this week, and while I will put the reviews out soon, those needed more of my attention than the one I did for "Lost Kings". So then I tried text-to-speach. Welp, this is that part where I tell you kids got in the way of that. Even when they were asleep, I found my recorder was picking up things like snoring, and toys that randomly went off.

Two days without typing my reviews felt like a lifetime. I realized how much I love to write and interact with books, and how having even part of that removed was terrible.

So to this, I promise you all who read my blog and follow what I am doing, I will do my utmost to make sure that this shiny new keyboard and mouse never take another bath. My son has been perfect about not coming into my little office area ever since, so I feel a lot more confident. Also, I'm thrilled with my keyboard and mouse, and as a gift to you, I shall share it here to look at. See those pretty buttons? It wasn't that expensive at all.

I went with a typewriter mechanical board because old-school typewriters are so cool. I went with the colored LED's because I love the color and I'm a positive person. Thus the combination makes everything beautiful.

Keyboard and Mouse both are very colorful.


But, what do you think?

  • Do you think I'm silly for my two-day hiatus? 
  • Do you think typing on my smartphone probably could have been eased with a different app or way to use it?  
  • Do any of you want a colorful update to your desk setup? 
  • Has any small child "helped" you with a random cup of water and dryer sheet into something new? 


I am actually interested in what you think, so please leave comments down below. 

Until next time,
Mrs. Y