Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 22, 2018

[Mrs. Y Reviews] Fairy Tale Ending: A Creepy Little Bedtime Story by William F. Aicher

Book Cover via Amazon.com
Are you looking for your average Red Ridinghood spin-off? Well turn thy head and abandon thy path right here my friend. Nope, there is nothing better to see you with my dear, not in this story. And no, there’s not a drop of huffing or puffing. There isn’t even a hint of it. No one is spinning straw to turn it to gold, but William F. Aicher managed to weave a well-made set of tales into short story platinum.

Want to know more? Get your red hoods on campers, don’t forget your hiking boots, whatever you do bring a first aid kit, and join me on a review for “Fairy Tale Ending: A Creepy Little Bedtime Story (Creepy Little Bedtime Stories Book 5)”



Opinion
Full Disclosure kids, the author sent me this book. But this review is my own honest opinion so I will do my best to not let the bias in.

I love fairy tales. To me, because my mother was a realist, they were the historical markers of warnings that were given long before we had Amber alerts or the internet. Every tale always had a meaning, either it was "Never talk to Strangers" or "Just because someone offers you something nice, does not mean they are nice at all."

There are many reasons I have trust issues, but I digress. The point is, I love fairy tales.

However, they have been the same premise for years, and the tales never really change. There always is some innocent girl marked with blonde hair who does something honest and winds up vindicated at the end. Very rarely is realism part of the tale.

Then William F. Aicher decided to write 35 pages of the most magnificent medley of my personal favorites, and I as an adult squealed like a child. To put it bluntly, this "Ain’t your mama's Fairy Tales."

These deal with several modern issues as well as those old ones that the fairy tales were embodied to speak to the masses about. I mean remember, we didn't have Netflix or Hulu to binge watch shows, we had stories and fairytales to teach us our public service messages. There is the classics, of course, never talk to strangers, never trust people. But then there are some new ones, the handsome guy; he's a jackass. The dude who probably is terrible and you think is terrible, he's terrible, and he's not going to change no matter what happens. My all-time favorite theme from this book, another person's family values are not your family's values. A brutal image, ties into a topic which is a huge thing right now just in the geopolitical climate of the world, and in the ever-changing times. What you and your immediate family consider to be important be it a food tradition, or just how you live your lives, someone down the block with their family does not think the same way at all.

It's all beautifully tied up is not a hook, but rather the end of the story which culminates in the line. "Fear is the best seasoning."

So what should you do with this book? You should read it. You also should probably read it to a child who is mature enough to understand the point of it. Just because someone does a nice thing for you, it does not mean they are nice nor that they have good intentions on your person. The truth of modern life is, you only can rely on yourself to make the right choices. One must honestly be careful what friends they make, they need to not take appearances for granted, and above all remember not to go out into the woods alone.

Regarding the book pacing, structure, storytelling and art, this book reads like a dream. Its structure is perfect for a short story. It has a complete beginning, middle and an end. It paces so comfortably, and at no time is the reader left to go “Wait what happened?” and have to read it over. The words fit the tone, the alteration fits the meanings, and the best part has to do with the imagery the story brings to mind. This is a gritty tale, and it is a wonderful one. I think honestly this is going on my recommends list, and I cannot stress enough how much I love this short story.

Score
I give this lovely short story a 97/100, the only reason it's not 100 is it made my heart break with Baby Bear. I have no idea why that struck me so hard, but it did. Still, this is an AMAZING short story, read it!