Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 22, 2018

[Mrs. Y Reviews] Salvage by P. Sun Enge - ARC Review.

Book Cover via Amazon.com
I love space stories, and I really enjoy werewolves, but you know what I never ever thought of having before? A space style version of “Little Red Riding hood” mixed with “Hamlet.” 

We needed this story in our lives, all of us did, collectively. We all needed a story that would activate our imaginations in so many different ways to inspire and let us relax and enjoy. 

Oh yeah guys, let’s all set a course for the Gemini System, grab your favorite surfboard and join me for a review for “Salvage” by P.Sun Enge.




Opinion
Welcome to my reviews guys, and if this is your first time with me, please note my views are my own. I score novels and stories that I review on an aggregate scale, please refer to my blog for information.

A while back a writer named Sean Erik turned me onto this book. I am so glad he did because the writer sent me an ARC copy and I want to thank P. Sun Enge for letting me read and review this for everyone.

What I was given was one of the most fun stories I have ever read about space, horrible uncle tyrants, werewolves, and so much food! This book has the most beautiful descriptions of food in it, far better than any cookbook, and I’m glad about it. I also would like to go on record to admit, I did find myself snacking a lot while reading this. That's not a bad thing, but if you are prone to suggestive eating, be aware this book will drive you to the fridge. 

With all of the culinary delight, we have a tale of a salvage solo captain who comes across a bit of salvage that transports her on a journey she never imagined. What I ended up with was a mix of tales like I mentioned above, but also a fun story. I have read a lot of sci-fi this year, but not once has anyone written a book this fun and funny, and filled with so many delicious descriptions. You do not get good food in space usually, at least as a reader, but this book has it. I came away from a few chapters to pause and cook something because I couldn’t help it.

I honestly think the part I had the most fun with, was the surfing scene and the scenes with the protagonist's family. I felt the warmth there, I felt the love, and there was so much enjoyment in all of it. The secondary character also was a delight during all of the stories, and I found it delightful. 

Now let’s talk about a couple of critiques here. Again, as I state with all of my evaluations, these are my opinions, and I hope you can respect that. I'm not pointing them out to hurt anyone, I'm merely here to review and mention things I see as flaws.  I did keep in mind what I was told, and the book was rushed to publication, so I with that in mind I just want to point out things that I feel will come up to the average book reader. 

The formatting on mobi for “Salvage” is not where most books lay by standard. For example, there are words with spaces in them such as ‘gall ey’ instead of “galley.” Also, the book is written in the format of one to two sentence paragraphs and a lot of breaking issues between sentences.

Regarding chapter markers and natural pauses between chapters, there isn’t any such break on mobi. Everything is jammed together including page numbers or section numbers. Initially, you may find a random number that makes no sense, and I realized that’s where the originally drafted pages came from perhaps from the final draft or PDF. Thus, if you’re sensitive to format issues in your copy of a book or a mobi, be aware that this book has a significant amount of it. It does not damage the overall story, but it is an issue.

Regarding the storytelling itself, not the format or little things, I have a couple of critiques. One is repetition. For example, the captain introduces herself twice in very different parts of the book. What wasn't clear about the second introduction, as if it was intended, or if this was a situation where there needed to be more added on stuff and the first part was forgotten. Whatever the reason, the second more elaborate bit feels like a forced addition to the overall narrative.

The main critique I have with “Salvage” happens to hit the meat of what I normally grade on, and if the novel contains a complete beginning, middle and ending. Essentially, it suffers plot-wise from “hurry and wait”. What I mean by that, there is a lot of eating, talking, casual social situations, but very little of that time is used as plot moving action. What it is missing is conclusions to the points that are presented.

 The “Hamlet-style” plot of the story, never is genuinely resolved. Instead, the book sets for a sequel so that eventually the main points of this book will be addressed. Thus, this does not have by any means a satisfying ending in the classical narrative. Now, if three other books come out, and this turns out to be like act 1 of 3, I may review the entire trilogy and have it under one review. But with this book, I have to evaluate what is in front of me and score accordingly.

Unlike other novels that set up for a sequel or series and sets up a grand scheme, there is a meaty subplot that takes the precedent of the whole of the narrative of the specific book one is reading. That did not happen here. The main plot is the overall plot, and thus, all of the subsequent fun things that go on have nothing to do with ending the plot. I do get a sense this is being slowly laced in on purpose, so I look forward to future books and how they will detail the end of the series.

Now for positives to this book. Aside from the food and the fun, this story is a full story. It has a political intrigue plot, a space plot and some technical details that make it work. There is a tiny bit of a “Deadliest Catch” vibe to it with all the talk of supplies and teaching someone how to start on a maiden voyage, but it’s not overt. The book is like I mentioned before, very fun.

The relationships such as the big push on family, they are welcomed. Essentially the act of having a family unit and what that means to the main characters is essential. I find this warming and welcoming. I also see that the descriptions are great, and how everyone who is on the same team, seamlessly can work together. Some might call a family that comes along as this one does and just happens to get things done without question, a convenient plot device.  I disagree with that notion entirely, because I happened to recognize that type of family structure and enjoyed having such richness in the story. I have a family like that, we all get behind a problem and get it fixed, and I enjoyed this element of the book. I also like that the book acknowledges not all families are like that, if anything they are rare, and tackles with dysfunctional family issues as well.

Overall, I think P. Sun Enge poured her heart into this. This is a monumentally wonderful time I had reading it, and though there were some issues with the book, they were not so overpowered by my good feelings when I finished reading it. I felt very hopeful when it was over, and looking at my own family as a source of my strength. I love that this book brought about such delightful feelings.


Score
I am going to give this fun book a 69/100. "Salvage" is a delightful take on space and on the family. I think if it had been a completed beginning, middle and ending, and it had been polished a bit more, it would have been a high scoring novel.

That said, do not let my personal opinion on formatting issues stop you from trying this book out because you may find you love it!