Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 20, 2018

[Mrs. Y Reviews] Homemakers: A Domestic Handbook for the Digital Age by Brit Morin [Honest Review, Over a year tested]

Book Cover via Amazon.com
When I turned fourteen years old, I got my legal work permit, and I went to work. I’d chosen a mechanical job of sorts, cleaning cars, and moved on to movie theaters and eventually found myself in both Barbering and Video Games. An odd journey I know, but the point is, I have been a significant part of the workforce for at least 22 years. 

I tell you all this because when the time came to come home, raise my children, take care of my family, I had no idea at all what it meant to be a homemaker. So I picked up this book, and as the last year has come, I’ve had time to test out the theories. 

Get your yarn, don’t forget a healthy dose of tape and whatever you do, be prepared to be creative. I am reviewing “Homemakers: A Domestic handbook for the digital age” by Brit Mortin. 

Opinion
Full disclosure guys I wanted to give this book a full review, and I have taken well over a year of using it to test it. You see, I’m domestically challenged. What I mean by that is, while I am good with some things, other things escape me in my natural settings. I’m also a perfectionist and overachiever, so because this bothered me, I wanted to do something about it.

Brit Morin wrote this book I feel, with someone like myself in mind. Someone who had no idea what they were stepping into but needed help getting used to it. The book goes from section to section of every step in being a proper homemaker and breaks it down into small bites to avoid confusion. Now there are several projects here that I laughed at outright. I thought to myself about one project “There is no way in hell am I putting tape on my wall for a faux wallpaper” and a few other things. However, seriously it was a few and far between kind of situation where I didn't try a suggestion.

The food recipes are tasty. She takes the time to explain the basics and trains with pictures on how to make things that any homemaker should master. Take the noble cupcake. Not only does she show you how to make one, but she also taught me how to do that fancy rounded frosting thing that I thought only the fancy bakeries could do. Now it took a few tries, but eventually, I got the hang of it.

I cannot, however, give her credit for my poached eggs, that’s entirely Gordon Ramsay that showed me how to poach an egg, but I can say she did give me an appreciation for poaching them.

When any subject is brought in the book, Brit takes the time to logically explain why, shows data and charts, gives a compelling discussion with facts and then goes into the projects. For an ISTJ and Meyers Briggs and, someone who on the DiSC, favors S and C rather heavily, I found this a relief and helpful. I love data, and I want to know why I should care about something before doing that thing.

Brit, if you ever read this review, you helped me a lot. I want to thank you for it. I needed to know what it was to be domestic. Now, I’m not sewing everything, and I won’t lie, there are nights I crockpot more than others, but I do now have my home far more to my liking. It’s because of you. So thank you Brit.


Score
I am going to give this book, because it’s a How-To book and because it’s easy to follow and use, a 98/100 on my scoring. It’s damn near perfect. I hope anyone else going from the carrier field with fast paced fast food nights, into the more relaxed but just as important paced home life, uses this book.