Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

[Mrs. Y Blogs] Mrs Y, You've been very quiet. What are you up to? [ARC Review Discussion]

Hello my fellow readers and those who follow me! I hope you are well!

Image Free to Use by Pixabay

As the title says, I realize in the last few days that I have been quiet indeed and the reason I have is that I have had this fantastic influx of awesome things to read that have come my way. ARC Reviews!

For those of you who are not sure what an ARC Review is, it's when the Author's Reader Copy of a book is sent to someone to review it ahead of publishing. Now sometimes, like with Book Tasters, I get an ARC copy of the book and read it for free and get to enjoy it and give my honest take. Those are already published books that just need more reviews, and there is a deal with the author and Book Tasters for allowing us fine folks to read them.

But, specifically, what I am talking about here, I have been given about 6 golden nugget opportunities to read stuff that has not yet been published. I'm so grateful and excited about it, and I've been taking my time to make sure my reviews look up to par, as well as my notes are right.

So yes, I've been a tad quiet.

That said, if you are a writer and you'd be interested in having an ARC review, please contact me on Twitter. I'm happy to do them, but I have a few requests.

1. Make sure that you are going to be on Goodreads as an author and have the publication available there at some point. If not, your review might not work at all for what you want it to be. I like to review books, so if this is for a game or storyteller cards, please let me know so that I can talk with you about it. I am probably not the reviewer you need for your project, but I am happy to help you find someone who fits.

2. Don't send me a rough draft. I am not a beta-reader, I'm an amateur book reviewer. If you send me a rough draft, my review will be public and about the rawest version of your baby, and I assure you that will not be good. Rough drafts are rough for a reason, they need polish and nourishment to become full-fledged book babies.

3. Do not contact me if you're expecting a puff piece. I don't do puff piece work. There are books I'm in love with and glow and fawn over. However, I'm not going to write glowing reviews about something if it's not shining in my eyes. Yes, I get passionate and love things, but no, I do not like to lie. My integrity is my own, and I take it very seriously.

4. Please have a thick skin when reading reviews, I do not write reviews to attack anyone I write them to review a book. Please read my "Reviewers Blews" for details. If you don't understand something in my review, please ask. It will clear up any and all confusion, maybe the issue is you didn't understand my metaphor. The point is, please ask me, I'm a logical person, and sometimes my views are very cold and rigid in appearance when I meant them to be warm and kind.


I'd now like to take a moment to thank Luke Hindmarsh, G.A.M.Morris, Gavin Jefferson for their ARC copies and to Craig Wainwright for sending me their work to review! You guys should check them out on Twitter! They are all awesome people and deserve much love in the writing community.

Happy Wednesday everyone!
- Mrs. Y