Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 5, 2018

Mrs. Y does NaNoWrimo - Day 5 - Lessons Learned

Day 1

Day one went rather well, it was intense though. I immediately got on Twitter and started to follow NaNoWriMo Wordsprints, and I think I did pretty good. I ended the day with a word count of 7410.

Day 2

Day two went a lot better. I was really able to consider what I was doing and take a breath. Now, I know that might sound silly, but the anxiety of the first day was probably what fueled most of the word count. By day two, everything was smoother.
I ended day two with 3446 though that doesn't seem better. It was though, I mostly was considering what I was doing and it flowed easier. Total words by this point were 10856.

Day 3

Now that I had some idea of what I was doing, and the kids were happy and playing in my house, I managed to have my best day of all. I poured my heart into the work, and I got a word count of 10137 for a total word count of 20993.



Day 4. 

Worst day yet. I got food poisoning from dinner the night before. That tanked me, and I was very sick all day, but I still managed to get out 783 words. That said, the words were terrible, but I did still write them.

Day 5

 I'm not entirely all the way well, but I did try to put some effort into my writing. In total, I struck up  2847 words. It's not great, but also this was a busy errand day for me and I was napping for part of it still trying to rest up. So, as long as things go back to normal tomorrow, I should be on track.

Things I've learned from the five days.


Relax. Oh sure, it's easy to say "Don't worry, just relax," but for me, that's what I needed. That said, it takes time to get your feet under you and relax.

Secondly, I'm a pantser. I do have an outline and plot points I want to get out, but I just write and make sure I have points covered. I'm not strict about the outline, and I may throw things in different spots if they fit. It's good to know that I am taking this off the seat of my pants though, and the outline is a guideline.

And lastly, I've learned we all type differently. Some type more, others type less. The important thing is that everyone should just stay in their own lane and be comfortable with what they are doing. That's the most important thing about NaNo, it's to write a novel at your pace.


I'm not sure if this will help anyone or inspire anyone, but I did want to get my blog out. It's my hope this helps someone in some way, especially if you are debating between sleeping in or typing. It's okay to put words on the page, even if they are wrong because later they may be perfect.

Until next time my friends,
Mrs. Y is signing off!