Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

[Mrs. Y Reviews] Fetch by Scott Roche - Short Story Review

Book Cover via Amazon.com
Most of you who have read my reviews or followed my critiques for some time should be familiar with my love of short stories. You may have noticed I have a thing for mysteries. 

One night as I was clearing out my “To Do” list of those things that catch my eye in Kindle, I found this little gem of a short story. Want to know more? Well, get your coat on boys, make sure you’re careful in the graveyard, we are embarking on a review of “Fetch: A Father Ian Mystery” by Scott Roche. 

Opinion
Scott Roche writes very well, and one thing he does so well is put together a well-crafted short story. For one thing, it’s a swift little read. This of all short stories has a complete beginning, middle and ending and its fun. It also has some very palatable terror elements in it and is scary for the most part. `

The story itself is a dark tale about a priest who is being tormented by not only the loss of a friend but by a demon trying to mess with him. He second guesses himself, and with the help of another, manages to face his demons, both literally and figuratively. The tale in and of itself is new and exciting to a mystery, and by the end of it, I felt the climax was perfect and ended the book perfectly.

The only criticism I have is a small one. There is a very dark theme that is through this book, but I feel it sometimes overwhelms other elements in the tale. I know it’s supposed to be a dark tale, but at the same time, there can be times it’s too dark. Think of it this way, you can have a vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting, but if there is too much frosting, you may not enjoy the cake nearly as much.

Pacing and tension in this book are lovely, I found virtually no grammatical or spelling errors and believe me I looked. Honestly, the only little criticism as I mentioned is that it’s similar to other books like it. That’s not much of a drawback; it means that Scott has his finger on the pulse of what is in vogue right now and has added to the genre beautifully.

Scoring

For this lovely little short story, I’m giving it a robust 94% which on Goodreads and Amazon makes it a 5-star story. I hope you all can enjoy it as well!

Fetch is a great little book for reading in a Starbucks with a cappuccino. It also should chill you to your bones. I don’t recommend reading this in the dark or at night if you are a fraidy cat, because it might bother you, but I do recommend it if you like more dark tales. Read it with the lights on!