Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

[Mrs. Y Reviews] The Deepest Roots by Miranda Asebedo

Book Cover from Amazon.com
Did you know you could ask me to review books you like? Oh yes, I do take requests from everyone. It doesn’t mean I will always get to read them, but I do make them. This review is a request from Stephen on Twitter who has been a big supporter of “Mrs. Y Reviews Books” since it started. Stephen has been there from day one, and I cannot tell you all how much I appreciate the support. Stephen asked me to read this book. So, buckle up into your Mach, make sure you thank Mercy for the food, and whatever you do, do not get in a gunfight in a microburst. It’s time to review “The Deepest Roots” by Miranda Asebedo. 

Opinion
Stephen sent me this request to review Miranda Asebedo’s book “The Deepest Roots,” and I am so happy he did. Miranda had nothing to do with the request, but if she ever reads this I’d like her to know she has a fan in Stephen as well. I picked this up on Amazon, and it was on sale for USD 6.99. If you are interested, it’s not a bad price at all.

First impressions, this is a realistic story of good and evil, that is based in a world that is realistic, yet has sparks of the supernatural. The hook part of the action carries through the book and sets up the climax of the events. That’s a big deal, and I appreciate the aspect of the uniformed tale through the book. I’m impressed to know that it’s the hook that inspired the author to go from there to craft the rest of the story.

Here comes the critiques part of my review, and our first one is from my “Story Structure, Foundation, and Presentation” category.  The one thing I noticed Miranda has the same problem I do, of randomly capitalizing things in her sentences that mean a lot to her, but I don’t think that’s huge on removing points. These words are emphasized for effect. I will say she’s a lot better about her problem with it than I am. I capitalize all sorts of stuff, I know it’s a problem I need to work on.

My only other critique comes from my “Cliche’ Much” section of my scoring, in that this specific critique has become cliche and that is “Show Don’t Tell.” The good news, it only, in my opinion, happens once in the entire book.  Specifically, I felt every character, from the dead ones to the live ones, all had perfect arcs for their specific needs in the manuscript except for one single character.  Rome’s mother moves up a redemption curve, and this goes all the way to the end, except it trips at that last step. The very end had us knowing Rome, and her Mom would be okay, but we never got to see the mom’s reaction to anything that had happened in the climax with the antagonist. Everything was told to us about how she handled it, but we didn’t get that last moment with Rome and her mother on the page. The reason that I consider this a critique is because there was a lot of effort put into how they fixed their relationship and that her mother was making efforts on the page to fix things. I felt this got lost a bit. I do see why in there was vagueness. Specifically, I believe this was added because the book needed a smooth ending. I feel like the end with Mercy’s mom would have been better if Mercy's mother had replaced with  Rome's mom I think that her arch would have been more fulfilled. That is my only issue with it.

Let’s go into the positive aspects of this book. For one, this story has so much to focus on in the beauty of female empowerment when we talk about “strong female” concerning protagonists. There are strong females like Wonder Woman, and then, there are strong females like Rome, Lux, and Mercy. Each of the girls has different weaknesses and issues, but each remains balanced. This balance among each girl in their character arcs and their progression make the story so compelling. While the primary focus is on Rome, the characters that are in this story all make it an enjoyable read.

The next big positive for me is how beautiful the story is. Every chapter has an excellent chapter marker, and every margin is gorgeously aligned, the grammar is lovely. My favorite part of the book is the imagery of the words chosen. The description of a trailer that which was harmed in the opening sequence and was on its side is not what I said, but something far more detailed and tragic. Every tiny piece of detail work is impeccable.

Score

With great pleasure, I’m giving “The Deepest Roots” a 93/100 which is a 5-star review on Goodreads and Amazon. It’s excellent, and I’m so glad that Stephen sent this to me to review.

Are you a fan of my reviews and have one to recommend? Check out my blog contact form and let me know. I’ll try to do at least one per month!