Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

[Mrs. Y Reviews] Parable of Pronouns by Cassondra Windwalker

Book Cover via Amazon.com
Sometimes no matter how hard you want something to happen, or how much effort you put into it, it’s impossible to make that scenario you want to work. Imagine a premise to a romance story that is based partially in that fact alone. Add into that if there are difficulties, as long as the couple that faces them are matched perfectly for each other, they will triumph in hardships. It’s time for a review of the unconventional! So, make sure you don’t throw goats at doors, get your pastries before Lilly comes for you, enjoy the garden when you get the chance and let’s do a review of “Parable of Pronouns” by Cassondra Windwalker. 




Opinion

Cassondra contacted me about reviewing her novel for an honest review, and I picked up “Parable of Pronouns” on Kindle Unlimited. I follow her on Twitter, and she follows me back, and it was a pleasure to agree to review her book. I do not say this often, but the cover of the book is beautiful and caught my attention immediately. I’m also happy to report, it matches the book well, and that’s a big plus for a book cover in my opinion.


In this part of my review, I want to talk about the first impressions. This is a non-traditional narrative for a romance novel, but one that is on the mix of darkness and the supernatural. We have a classic trope in the form of a story of a love triangle, and one that is older than any. Initially, the narrative was a bit confusing, some sections seem disconnected, but as time goes on the connection becomes clear. If you want a romance novel that does specific things at specific times, such as “by the 25% mark this should happen” this is not that kind of romance novel. If anything, this is a new way to consider a tale of love.


“Parable of Pronouns” takes us in and out of time, but always returns to the main narrative. Thus, my first impression, I found this a unique way to work on a classic trope, and avoid it from becoming cliche and recycled. This is by no means a recycled or rehashed cliche kind of love triangle book.


Let’s go into some critiques for “Parable of Pronouns.” The first one falls into the “Lost in Translation” section of my scoring, and that is because I read the story up to about 20% and then I had to stop, put it down, and start over. Now, whenever I grade on this score, it’s because re-reading a book in the first read through to understand what the purpose and narrative are can be a tad on the frustrating side. That said, I’m glad I did stop, go back and start again. I note this specifically because those of you who are into romance and like the unique, might be confused and I don’t want any of my readers and followers to give up on the story before it gets exciting and starts to make more sense.


For the last part of my review of “Parable of Pronouns” I want to go into some positive aspects I enjoyed about the story. The first is the detail work and the descriptions. I enjoyed that even when the scenes were horrible and terrifying, they were done with skill and precision. I enjoyed that when there were love scenes. The love scenes were passionate and practical even though they tended on the erotic side. The details that were put into the book in every section of it were amazing, everything from how skin changes color or hue with substances, to the color and feel of ground on hands. The pictures that went into my imagination were beautiful.


My next praise comes in delight to my eyes that this story was. “Parable of Pronouns” was a lovely book to read on the e-reader. My Kindle couldn’t have been happier! The margins are perfectly aligned, the words are spaced beautifully, and the indenting is done with expertise. I enjoyed the grammar and spelling aspects, and I can tell that the book had a lot of work done for the polishing element of it.


Lastly, I do want to say I enjoyed the romantic parts of the book aside from the love scenes. I thought the actual romance between the two main characters was beautiful, and I enjoyed how the story wove how long the relationship had been going on. It was lovely to see something that is dedicated to such a longstanding love.


The one thing I believe the single best thing about this story, is the character of Jason. Jason starts one way and has an impressive story arch. I felt that what was done with him was both in the sense of a metaphor about humanity, but also in a way to add to the character of Lily and prove perhaps there is more there with her. The ending of the story sealed that belief in me. I found the finish to be excellent, and I enjoyed it. I also was delighted that this story had a full beginning, middle and ending. With everything that was placed in this story, I believe this is not only a romance novel, but a story about good and evil, and why there are shades of gray in-between.


Score

I’m going to give “Parable of Pronouns” a 90/100 score after I did all of the math work. That is a 5-star review on Goodreads and Amazon.  If you love non-traditional romance or stories of time travel, or you are thrilled by Adam and Eve takes, pick up this book.