Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 4, 2019

[Mrs. Y Reviews] 100 Tiny Tales: Short Stories Told in Exactly One Hundred Words by K.Kris Loomis

Book Cover via Amazon.com
Those who have been reading my reviews should know, I love short stories. I also am a fan of the craft of writing a complete story in a small amount of space. Well, if you are a writer who wants to work on your short story game or just someone who loves short stories, you may find this one as intriguing as I did. Get your s’more stuff ready, fight for your queen, and please admire Camilla. It's time for a review of "100 Tiny Tales: Short Stories Told in Exactly One Hundred Words" by K.Kris Loomis. 

Opinion. 

Kindle Unlimited is starting to understand me better and better. Today's review was part of my recommended list, and I couldn't deny this one. A book made entirely of 100 stories all 100 words or less!?  No one asked me to review this, but how could I not? It’s everything I love! Good job KU you get me!

First impressions, this is a fun and fast paced book. If you aren't paying attention, you will miss something, and that in and of itself is what I love most about this book. It's paced fast because of the size of the stories. You have to be paying attention.

Let's go into critiques, and the only thing I have comes from "Story Structure, Foundation, and Presentation," and that is the ever-present issue with spacing between paragraphs. However, that said, this book doesn't need it as badly as the longer novels do. The reason it's not going to be as big of a problem here, the stories are concise. There are no hard walls of crushing unbroken text in this case. It could be if this were a big novel, but because it's almost a new fresh story every page, we don't have those problems here.

Now let's go into what I love about “100 Tiny Tales: Short Stories Told in Exactly One Hundred Words”. So every story needs a beginning, middle and ending to be a complete story. Well, I'm happy to say that every one of these stories has a beginning, middle and ending. Some have more character development than others, but all of them are whole stories. As a writer, this is tough to do. If anything this is an entire collection of hard-mode writing.

Let's take for example the story "The Wedding" which is stunning how good it is. Not only is it a full story, but it also has a deep and complex undercurrent that you aren't aware of until the very end. Writing like this is a talent. "The Wedding" story is going to be with me probably forever because of how crushing it is overall.

Every story in this book is different. Some of the stories are incredibly sad; some are heartwarming and beautiful. Some are chilling and disturbing. There are so many odd tales here, and I loved them all, even the one about the French Revolution was just right.

Lastly, yep you guessed it, Mrs. Y is a nerd, and I counted the words in each story. The good news is that all of these stories are under 100 words. There was no cheating or extra words in any of the stories, and that's awesome. I'm just that kind of a nerd though that I would do something like count the words on short stories to prove that there isn't false advertising.

Score

So with everything taken into consideration, "100 Tiny Tales: Short Stories Told in Exactly One Hundred Words" has a score of 97/100 and that is a five-star review on Goodreads and Amazon, as well as going in the "Mrs. Y Recommends" pile. If you are a writer working on improving your short story game, or you want to watch someone do something unusual with words, pick this book up. It's easy to read but pay attention!

Until tomorrow my friends.