Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 29, 2019

[Mrs. Y Reviews] Insynnium by Tim Cole

Book Cover via Amazon.com
Opinion

Tim Cole was so kind and asked me to review his book “Insynnium,” and he even sent me a copy of it to read. I want to state publically, Tim is a kind and patient individual, and I want to thank him for being so. This is a book you can pick up on Kindle if you wish to, and I reviewed the Kindle version of it.

Let me go into the first impressions of “Insynnium,” and to start, I’d like you to conceptualize something with me. Imagine my friends, that someone discovers a wonder drug that does fantastic things and isn’t working for Big Pharma. Now imagine that wonder drug does things even Doctor Who cannot do with a TARDIS and a host of plucky sidekicks, and it takes you places you couldn’t think of going to, but where the world is familiar. Isn’t that unique? I thought it was, which is why when I began to read “Insynnium,” I found it fascinating. From the opening lines and that first chapter, I was hooked to this story immediately. It’s a long book, 500 plus pages, but I didn’t notice that. Usually a book this long would be difficult to read in one or two sittings, but I didn’t find it to be that at all. In total, it took me three whole book reading sessions to finish it, and I found it enjoyable. Thus, my first impression of this book was kept through the reading of it, and that is spellbound.

Let’s talk a little bit about some critiques here. My first one goes into the scoring category of “Story Structure, Foundation, and Presentation,” specifically in the section for “story structure.” If you are looking for a story with a relaxing read that you can pay semi-close attention to, this is not your book. “Insynnium.” feels as though the goal of the novel was to keep everyone glued to it, and paying very close attention to clues and ideas. It’s why there are loops built-in with specific events and ideas that go through the novel so that if you missed it, you could get back to it. However, those loops are not for every single thing, and therein lies the rub. Do not read this book if you are slightly tired, or not paying the closest attention to it.

My next critique goes into the “Lost in Translation” portion of my scoring. For this one, we turn to the need to Google-specific pieces of the book for clarification. If you are not familiar with drug culture or have even a journeyman understanding of it, this book may be confusing at times. Due to the horrible allergies, I have from every sort of chemical I encounter; I do not take casual drugs. Thus, part of the book required me to Google search stuff or asked awkward questions of people I knew. If I were a Book Tube Reviewer, I’d probably have a reel of responses to the questions I asked just for the laughs. If drug-related books or chemical substance books is an issue for you, please be aware of this.

With all that heaviness in mind, let’s go into what I did enjoy about “Insynnium” by Tim Cole. The first thing I’d like to mention comes from the “Lost in Translation” portion of my scoring, and the absolute beauty that is the foundation of the core of the book. The science that Tim uses to explain the concepts and ideas feels sound, and it’s based on a kind of reasonable foundation to the premise. I had no problem believing it, or the world he had created, nor did I struggle with any of the science or chemical works in it. This was just enough science to explain things, but not so much that it was painted into a corner. The main reason I chose this category for positive reinforcement; I did not need to Google or look up the pseudoscience to understand it. The only thing I had to Google, I mentioned above.

My next compliment comes in the category of “Story Structure, Foundation, and Presentation,” and that comes specifically with all three elements. I loved the grammar and spelling check that was done, the editing looks fantastic, and most importantly, it’s beautiful to the eye to read. I love chapter markers, and I enjoy it when someone puts a little something extra to the details because beautiful looking details to a manuscript make a novel pop. The superb chapter markers are simple and understated, but tasteful and classy. They are like a simple pearl ear drop earring, just enough to be classy, but not so much it’s too much. I also really love the footnotes in the story. I never thought about footnotes being beautiful, but the way that Tim did them in this book not only is beautiful but add to the whole story approach of the book. I think this is one of the easiest books to read for the eyes and comfort level. Anyone who has read my reviews a long time knows I’m a stickler on the comfort level of eyes, and “Insynnium” is outstanding on eye comfort, especially considering how long the book is.


Moreover, here are a couple of spoiler things I enjoyed about the story. If you do not want spoilers do not read this paragraph. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. The idea of going back to when you are an infant, and having the adult mindset to know what is going on, but unable to interact past an infant level, is fascinating to me. I always suspected when I had my children that some things were causing them discomfort just from the understanding of the activity. To see it in written form where it makes sense from a layman’s perspective was amazing. Also, imagine being 11 or 16 again with your adult brain in your kid body? Imagine changing your life just because you have the ambition to do so, and you make your young self do something new. I wish I could do that, so this book hit a lot of wish fulfillment on my part, and I found it enjoyable. I truly loved the story and the elements of it, and mostly the fact that my patience was rewarded. I stress again if you miss any of the plot even for a moment, you need to go back and re-read it. It’s just that important.

Overall this story was unique and exciting to read. I enjoyed it, and I found it exciting to read. Though I had some issues with it and keeping track, I still found the story itself to be very good.


Score

And with that, the score for “Insynnium” by Tim Cole is an 80/100 which is a Four-star review on Amazon and Goodreads. I do recommend this book if you are interested in time travel from a chemical perspective. This would also be an exciting novel to send to a friend or loved one who is enjoys putting together puzzles while reading. Until next time my friends, this is Mrs. Y signing off.