Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

[Mrs. Y Reviews] "What If: The Avengers Initiative is DOA"

 


Welcome back to another Series Review post for the "What If" series. Today we are on episode 3, "What If: The Avengers Initiative is DOA" Just a warning, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to talk about this episode without spoilers. And again, because I release this the night before the next one, I hope you have had time to watch the episode and decide how you feel before reading my opinion. But if you have not, here is your last warning on Spoilers for Episode 3. 

Let's start with critiques. My first critique, y'all, this is DARK. I mean uncomfortably so, dark. Not like an excellent ol' horror movie where you can sit and try not to scream while the monster slowly presents itself. No, this is dark in a much more sinister way, and yes, there is murder, but it's not fun. 

I'm not sure why this was done; I think Marvel is trying to get out of its bloodstream different concepts to see whatever people will gravitate to. I do not mind darker-themed things, by the way. (Hello, I also review for Dark Brew Press, duh) but, this is dark in a dispassionate kind of clunky way. Seriously, the best example, watch the death of the Hulk. And then try to rationalize all the other elements as I did and see if you don't break your brain. 

That said, let me go into what I liked. Of all the episodes, I liked the intrigue in this story the most. The premise was unique. Not only does it show all the insanity of a week, but it also shows how life can move. I'm slightly confused about the timeline, but the premise and execution worked out beautifully. 

Next, despite the clunky murder vibe, the story itself was terrific. I liked the idea that if murder is in the house that things might lead to domination. I loved the elements of the various movies that were taken. 

I was a tad confused by the Hope Van Dyne issue because I didn't see that coming, and I guess that must have been the unspoken choice that wasn't mentioned. 

Also, the sadness in my heart for Hank Pym in this episode is astounding, and I think that was positive as well. They built up that factor in the story rather well, and it made it a tragedy.

Lastly, the big "Should my kids watch this," and my answer on this one is a no. I don't think my 7-year-old will do well with this one. I know my 11-year-old will think it's horrific to watch her heroes get slaughtered like they were. Now, does that mean my kids can't handle death in shows? I don't think it's the death so much as the symbolic death that is done in this episode. Suppose they wanted to up the bar and make it for adults, by golly, that happened in this episode. But for my kids, who rock an Iron Man shirt until it's torn and want me to repair it a billion times, well, I don't know if they will handle this one very well until they are older and can appreciate it more. 

Overall, I'm scoring "What If: The Avengers Initiative is DOA" with a 78/100, which is a 3-star review. The clunky bits were heavy-handed, I'm afraid. 

Anyway, stay tuned for next week's episode review, and whenever the series is over, I'm going to do a series review for the first season!