Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 24, 2021

[Mrs. Y Reviews] "What If: T'Challa became Star-Lord"

 


Hello my friends, welcome back to some bonus content for "What If: T'Challa became Star-Lord," the 2nd episode in the "What If" series. 

I want to start this review with a critique. There is a slight continuity issue with the beginning that would have happened "Off-Page," and it has to do with how things work in the lore. If T'Challa had done all of these things, well, how? 

Like a critique I had last week, I think the idea here is that the audience must suspend disbelief because the story is a short 30 minutes. To which, I'm fine within this case. But if you find yourself stuck in the "What and how" of things, this point may itch in your brain a bit. I found this doesn't bother e the least. This week's episode, I found less clunky on the disbelief scale than the previous one, and that's even with Thanos as a part of it. 

My only other critique, I would have loved an entire hour-long episode of this story. It was riveting from the second it started to the end. 

Now to what I enjoyed. This story was so much easier to get behind and follow for me than "What If Captain Carter." The reason I had an easier time with it all had to do with the choice. The choice was simple if Yandu had gone himself to get Peter Quill, or if he deligated, outcomes could have been different in the universe. I liked that choice a whole lot. 

I truly enjoyed what was done with the characters in this story and how it all worked together. I thought a lot of work was put into writing this episode, and I could almost feel all of the polish put into it. It was wonderful. 

The artwork again was sublime for this episode. I loved how detailed it was and how intricate the designs were. I especially loved Nebula in a blonde wig; that was lovely. A lot of good came from this story in the art, the color pallet was chosen, and the lighting effects of the tale. 

Another thing I enjoyed was the story elements here that involved character progression in the story. It had elements of the James Gunn "Guardians" with the Ryan Coogler's "Black Panther," and I liked the mix. The same lightness was there, but so was the same depth of characters in the story. This was a wonderfully told tale. 

Overall, I'm giving "What If: T'Challa became Star-Lord" a 96/100 on my scale, which is a 5-star review. The series isn't over. I'll do an overall score when it is! See you next week, my friends!