Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 15, 2019

[Mrs. Y Reviews] Misfits by J.M Hix

There are moments of my life that I think back of often. Some are painful, some are happy, and some of those moments I remember are just silly. Today we are reviewing a book that is a glimpse into thoughts of someone and takes the reader on a journey. So, gather up your courage and climb the wall, make sure your Christmas is magical, and the record player is on. Join me for a review of “Misfits” by J.M Hix. 

Opinion
J.M Hix contacted me about reviewing this book, and sent me a free copy to review, which I want to take a moment to thank him for it. I do genuinely appreciate any free copies sent to me; it’s a kindness. The good news to you the reader, you can purchase this on Kindle.

For the first part of the review, I want to go into the initial impressions. I was so pleased that the book started in a comfortable and approachable way. Instantly I was sucked into a world that I could relate to, and I felt as though I were a part of. I love when books do more than hook a reader, but they wrap the reader up in warmth and comfort into the story. It was a spectacular start to “Misfits.”

Next, I shall go into critiques, and the first is under my “Story Structure, Foundation and Presentation portion of scoring. I felt that though most of the time the grammar and spot editing was perfect, there were tiny bits here and there where that can be nitpicked.

Overall, there wasn’t much I could critique about the book. All of the critical things I look for were met for the most part. So let me segway that into what I enjoyed about “Misfits.”

I love novellas and short stories because of how they easily convey a creative idea. So by far the part I enjoyed the most about the book has to do with how much I appreciate the narrative fit the novella format. It flowed. Naturally, it didn’t rush anything though, and the pacing was perfect. I couldn’t have asked for a better book to end the week on if I had tried.

The second thing I enjoyed was that on the e-reader copy it’s easy to read, and I can tell someone took much time to make sure the book can be read on any device. That’s a big deal to me. I know if you are reading my reviews that I tend to pay close attention to it, so I’m happy to report how well it reads on an e-device.

However, the thing I have to rave about for “Misfits” is how much of a wonderful narrative it is. This story flows beautifully, has natural character and story arch progression, and there is tension that comes between characters which are magnetic and believable. This story is like taking a slice out of life and observing it for all of the textures and colors in that life. Everything is placed eloquently. As a girl who did not formally station myself in a dorm for College, I still felt I could relate to the ideas in the story and the friendships. I also love the concept of “chose the family you want,” which is a message that came through at times in the progression.


Score

With all of the math in mind “Misfits” has earned a 97/100 which is a 5-star-review on Goodreads and Amazon. I enjoyed this novella, and I think if you are looking for a bit of a taste of another person’s college life, this is the one to look toward. There are sad and happy parts, but this is by far a warm and inviting story to enjoy. It also pairs well with a cup of coffee and a piece of cake, trust me, I tried it.

Until next Monday my friends, have a wonderful weekend and I’ll see you for more reviews.