Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 11, 2019

[Mrs. Y Reviews] Silly Milly The Dane by Sheri Wall

Book cover Via Amazon.com
Children's books are essential to help our kids learn to love reading. I have a review of a children’s book that I picked up at the “Take 190 Book Festival” that was held in Killeen Texas this weekend. My guest reviewer will be my son Buddy who picked this book himself, and he will also help me with his take on it. So, get your camera ready, have your toy donut for chewing and whatever you do, stay silly. It’s time for a review of “Silly Milly The Dane” by Sherri Wall. 

Opinion
Happy Monday everyone, I wanted to get us started on a book review of a book I picked up this weekend. My son chose this book from author Sherri Wall because he loved the cover. Each picture in the book is rich with beautiful drawings and vibrant color, so I understood why he was drawn to it immediately. 

I picked this up at the book conference, but you can get it on Amazon, and I’ve linked that to the book cover here. You can also read it on KU which is fantastic. 

For my first impressions, “Silly Milly” reads very well. The fonts are easy to see for old tired eyes, the colors make the text pop out, and it looks lovely. It’s not difficult to flip the pages either, which is a plus for a children’s book. There are times when pages can get stuck, and it’s a pain, but not with this one. The texture of the book pages and the cover is comfortable and smooth. 

For this part of the review, I will go into critiques, and Buddy is going to help me out here. I asked him if there was anything he didn’t like about “Silly Milly the Dane.” “It ends too soon,” he said. So there is that, he wanted more story, probably because it is as I mentioned a vibrant and beautifully colored book. 

For my critiques, I only have one. It falls in my “Story Structure, Foundation, and Presentation” section of my scoring. If you are sensitive to font style changes from print to cursive, this might be tough for you. That said, I thought it was poetic, and pretty so I’m not going to count much in the scoring pile for this critique. I understood why it was there, but as you who read my reviews know, I will mention everything I noticed. 

On this last part of my review let’s go into what I enjoyed about “Silly Milly the Dane.” For me, it told a whole story and did so in poetry stanza form. Any of you who know that I’m a lover of poems. Well, this is a poetically well-done book. My son loves it, he likes the rhyme scheme, and he had a good time giggling over the cute pictures mixing with the words. 

The next thing, I told you all about the color, but the drawings are beautiful. It’s stunning to the eyes how pretty this book is, and I think these have to be paintings that were used for the page work. While the color pops, the framing of the page and the eye catches in the right areas. 

Lastly, I loved that this is a book I could read to Buddy, or Buddy could read entirely on his own. And he did, he read it over and over. He loves books with characters he can relate to, and he likes the wonders of Milly. Milly also is relatable to him; there were things that Milly was doing that my Buddy does too and he’d point it out. “I do that!” he’d say sometimes and laugh because of how silly it is. 

Milly is a treasure, and this book is too. 
Score

With all the math involved, “Silly Milly the Dane” has a score of 99/100 which is nearly perfect. I also include this in Mrs. Y Recomends because I think your children will love it as well. 

Until tomorrow everyone, have a beautiful day!